What a rush!!!
Marc and I had planned to go back in April, but it was too cold so we just now got around to it! We set the date 2 weeks ahead and waiting for the day to come seemed like ages.
We took Mom's GPS, because neither of us had been to Tooele airport and we would rather be safe then sorry. Well it's a good thing we left early, the GPS was trying to take us onto the runway and not to where we were supposed to be. Thank goodness for cell phones, the Internet, and Moms right. Good news is we got unlost and was still about 5-10 min. early.
When we got there Marc and I were put in a room with 6 other people to watch a DVD as our training. It was kind of funny. It was saying that serious injury or death could occur, that there is no such thing as a perfect jump, perfect parachute, or a perfect instructor. I thought it was classic, we all just kind of joked about it while the DVD was talking about it. It also said that the 3 rules to diving is 1. Bellybutton 2. Breath 3. Banana: Meaning 1. When you jump your bellybutton should be the first thing out of the plane, so you are like arching your back to get out. 2. Breath through your teeth, there is to much pressure that if you don't breath through your teeth you can't get air. 3. When you are falling you make a banana sort of shape with your body while you fall. Head back, hands behind you head and your feet tucked back behind the person you're jumping with.
Once the DVD was over we filed out paperwork and waited about 45 min before it was finally our turn.
Once we got to the right area a guy walks up to me and asks if I am Lexie, I say yes and he says, I'm your instructor today. He holds up a harness and says "k put your right foot in here." Um yup you guessed it... Lexie had a blond moment and went to put her left foot where her right foot was supposed to go. So my instructor says "no, your other right foot. I don't think you want to go down facing me, I don't think my wife would approve of that." Needless to say I did not go down facing him.
After going over everything again we started our walk towards the plane. I think my instructor was a little excited to go because he led the entire group and was the first person to board the plane, making us the last ones to jump off.
On the ride up there was 11 men, and me. There was the pilot, the guy I was jumping with (Utah was his name or at least what they called him), Marc, the guy he was jumping with, 2 other guys that were jumping, the guys they were jumping with, their 2 camera men, and one solo jumper.
The whole ride up I wouldn't stop smiling!! So when Utah told me to just relax and be calm I told him I couldn't stop smiling. So one of the other instructors turned and looked at me and yelled stop smiling, and kinda laughed. so I yelled back that I couldn't. Then a few of the instructors kept yelling "Oh my gosh" and would grab us and try to make us jump. After the first time it didn't work on me any more. Once we were almost as high as we were going to go, I got completely strapped to my instructor, like I had to sit on his lap to get everything put together right we were that close. The door was opened and I watched all the men sitting in front of me all disappear out the door we had all entered less then 10 min earlier 2 and a half miles down.
I am now standing at the door. My toes are off the side of the plane, I hear a "ready" from behind me as I rock forward, "set" as I rock back. As I feel my body rocking forward again I think NO. But before the whole thought gets through my head I hear "GO!" and I am in the air. I go into my banana position best I can remember it. The wind in my face drys out my wide grinning mouth in a hurry. I scream with excitement but am falling to fast to even hear the words ring true to my ears. (I didn't forget to wish Bowen a happy birthday as I was falling though) 120 miles an hour slows down as the parachute is released and finally opened.
As the decent is slowed Utah told me to put my hand in where his where and I was then in controll of the parachute. It was way cool. While I was just looking out at what was below me, he started to loosen some of the straps on me, as he started loosening the one across my lower ribs he said "here you can have your boobs back now" in response I said "oh thank you, those might be a good thing to have" He kinda laughed and said "well at least you didn't fall out of the harness right?" Laughing in agreement I said "that is a very good point"
For the first about 10,000 feet I didn't feel like I was moving! The ground didn't seem to be getting any closer, I wasn't loosing sight of anything, and it just didn't seem real at all. The last 3,000 feet it started to seem more and more real. I could see things getting bigger, I couldn't see around me as far, and I realized it was almost over. It was so pretty to watch all of it, it was so thrilling to have that much wind in my face, it was crazy to think I was falling at a rate of 120 miles an hour, and it was peaceful to be away from the craziness of life. It is an experience that really can't be shared as a story, with words, but only in experiencing the adventure by yourself.
I can't wait to go again!
2 comments:
Lexie you are a freaking dare devil! Maybe I will go with you some time. Love you
Im again...so freaken jealous!!!! I want to go SOOOO bad!!!! I want to grab you, little brother and connor and we should ALL go!!!!
(BUT i need to get a job first!)
Post a Comment